Thursday, October 7, 2010

A water pipe break

I came home tonight about 7:30 pm to find a few utility trucks down the street, most noticeably a Grande truck. So I thought there was a cable problem. A little later I went to run a load of laundry and my washer just hummed, with no water flow. The washer is getting pretty old, so I figured that it was malfunctioning, and I called a repair guy I know.* Then I went to do some dishes and noticed there was no water! So I re-called to cancel the repair request and went outside to see what was going on. About then, City Manager Yost Zakhary drove up to explain what was happening. The three-man Woodway work crew later filled in the details. The PVC water pipe, which is buried about 4 feet or so under the street, had developed a leak. This was probably the result of a long-term conflict with an adjacent rock that somehow managed to crack the pipe. Anyway, the crew (Derek, Robert and Mike) worked from about 6:30 pm to at least 1 am to get it fixed. As of 1:30 am, the water flow is back to normal. Good job guys!

*If you ever need an appliance serviced, I highly recommend Jim Johnson Repair Services (752-4506). He worked for the Sears repair department for years, and does prompt house calls at a reasonable cost.